Principal Conductor/Music Director Wanted
The National Concert Band of America (NCBA), based in the Washington, D.C. area, seeks the services of a charismatic Principal Conductor and Music Director who can lead this talented volunteer group in performing music befitting the modern Concert Band. NCBA was founded in 1974 by veterans from each of the premier service bands with a heritage in the traditions of the U.S. military bands.
Duties of the Music Director will include but are not limited to:
- Preparing the band, conducting necessary rehearsals, and leading the band in concerts throughout the NCBA season (September through mid-July);
- Working with the Associate Conductor and the Music Committee of the band in planning programs; selecting music, and selecting guest artists and/or conductors;
- Attending auditions, if held, and working directly with the Board of Directors and other appropriate band personnel in recruiting and retaining the best-qualified musicians for the band;
- Affording reasonable opportunity for the Associate Conductor to maintain proficiency in conducting the band;
- Promoting the best interests of the band in public and civic activities, including public relations and fund-raising activities;
- Serving as an ex officio, non-voting member of the NCBA’s Board of Directors; and, serving as Chairman of the Music Committee.
- Working with the Music Committee and the band’s librarian to manage the NCBA’s extensive music reserves.
Skills and Background Needed:
- Experience in programming band concerts, with specific knowledge of the broad range of concert band repertoire;
- Leadership skills to effectively engage volunteer adult members in a positive environment during rehearsals and performances;
- Stage presence and skills to effectively engage audiences during performances;
- Public relations or marketing experience is desirable, but not essential.
Additional Details and Requirements:
NCBA rehearses on Monday evenings and performs its concert series concerts on Sunday afternoons in Northern Virginia. The band continues its performances through mid-summer with performances at parks and other local venues.
The Board of Directors requires a minimum two-year commitment for these services. A stipend is provided in exchange for services.
How to Apply:
Interested parties should submit an application packet consisting of a resume, a letter of interest, sample concert program, references, and brief rehearsal and performance videos. Videos should be no more than 10 minutes in length and may be in the form of a DVD, a video file, or a link to a publicly posted video sample.
Review of applications will begin September 1, 2018. Applications will be accepted until December 31, 2018. Top-Qualified candidates will be invited to interview before the hiring committee and finalists may be invited to lead the band during the season.
Please submit application materials to:
Timothy W. Smith, Ph.D.
President, National Concert Band of America
6451 Steeple Chase Lane
Manassas, VA 20111
Materials may also be submitted via email at: email@example.com
The National Concert Band of America has immediate vacancies for well-qualified musicians on the following instruments:
- Bb Clarinet (all parts)
- Bass Clarinet
- French Horn
Some instruments have vacancies for Principal players.
Rehearsals are Monday evenings in the Northern Virginia area. The NCBA performs 4 subscription season concerts plus 5-6 summer “Pops” style concerts between Memorial Day and mid-July.
Interested musicians should reach out to us at: firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Become a Contributing Member
The National Concert Band of America invites you to become a contributing member of our organization. Band projects and programs are supported by dues and contributions from musician members and contributions from individuals, businesses, and foundations. Your contribution will support the band’s mission to promote the traditions of the American concert band through masterful performances. Tax-deductible contributions may be made at the following levels:
- Largo Level $25.00 to $49.00
- Adagio Level $50.00 to $99.00
- Andante Level $100.00 to $249.00
- Allegretto Level $250.00 to $499.00
- Allegro Level $500.00 to $999.00
- Vivace Level $1000.00 to $4999.00
- Presto Level $5000 or more
Contributions may be mailed to:
National Concert Band of America
Susan Dexter, Treasurer
P.O. Box 4423
Alexandria, VA 22303
or made online at: